Fireworks Maple Butter Whoopi Pies
I worked in a bakery once. I really wanted to learn how to bake because of the owner/pastry chef's blueberry muffins. One of her favorite things to make aside from those incredible muffins was whoopie pies. She made chocolate ones that were sort of like oreo's, but with a soft cakey cookie. They were also incredible. And so are these! I can take or leave pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving but give me a pumpkin muffin or cookie and I'm in heaven! The cream cheese frosting is another key to my heart. sizzle. spread. boom.
Ingredients for pumpkin cookies:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 ½ tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups chilled pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Fireworks Maple Butter Butter Bursts, at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkles or jimmies for garnish if you would like
MAKING PUMPKIN COOKIES:
- Move oven rack to the middle positions, and preheat the oven to 350° F. Next you will want to line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Next in a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and spices and set the bowl aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the sugars, and oil together. Then add the pumpkin puree combine thoroughly. And finally whisk in eggs and vanilla until fully combined.
- Sprinkle flour mixture over pumpkin mixture and whisk until completely combined and no flour streaks remain.
- Use a cookie scoop or a spoon to drop the dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. *Note: the dough will be pretty wet, so don’t worry.
- Baking 1 cookie sheet at a time, bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted into the center of a cookie and it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool on pan for about 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the Fireworks Maple Butter Burst until smooth.
- Then add the cream cheese, powdered sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Be careful not to overbeat the filling or it will thin out. If you think the filling is too loose, can put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up.
- Turn half of the cooled cookies upside down. Pipe filling onto the flat side of the overturned cookies. * Note: You can use a gallon zip lock bag with a corner cut off to pipe.
- Place another cookie, flat side down, on top of filling. Press down slightly so that the filling spreads to cookie edges.
- Repeat until all cookies are used. If you’re using sprinkles to garnish, hold each whoopie pie in your hand and sprinkle the garnish in the crack of the whoopie pie and turn until all exposed frosting is covered.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.