Fireworks Ginger Miso Grilled Aubergine (Eggplant) & Cucumber Pickled Rice Bowl
We love eggplants grilled and roasted. I'm used to preparing them with Mediterranean seasonings but Asian style is just as good! This is a killer summer recipe. The cooling cucumber and sticky rice are just what I want on a hot day. And you can add a plethora of other CSA veggies to your plate with this as well. Try snap peas, radish, spinach and of course carrots.
- ¼ of a cucumber
- 1 Fireworks Miso Butter Burst
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 7 tablespoons Japanese rice vinegar
- 1 cup of sushi rice
- 3 aubergines
- 3 tablespoons sweet white (shiro) miso
- 1 tablespoons mirin rice wine
- 4 spring onions
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds , optional
- Slice the cucumber into thin rounds and place in a bowl. Add 1 large pinch each of sea salt and sugar, 2 tablespoons of the rice vinegar, and toss the cucumber.
- Place a dish on top inside the bowl and weigh it down with one or two cans. Set aside to allow the excess water to drain out.
- Rinse the rice well, until the water runs clear. Drain and place in a small pot along with 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Then cook over a low heat for 25 minutes, or until it looks like the rice has no water left.
- Then you will take the pot off the heat and leave, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Fold 4 tablespoons of rice vinegar, the tablespoons of sugar and 1 pinch of salt into the rice.
- Set the grill to high. Quarter the aubergine lengthways and score the flesh creating a lattice pattern. Place flesh-side up in a grill basket and grill for 15 minutes, or until almost tender.
- Next, mix the miso, miso butter burst and mirin with the remaining tablespoon of rice vinegar and 1 tablespoon of water. Brush half the glaze over the aubergine; grill for a further 8 to 10 minutes, brushing with the remaining glaze halfway, until tender.
- Meanwhile, toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan until golden.
- Place the aubergine on a bed of sticky rice. Trim and finely slice the spring onions, scatter over the aubergine with the sesame seeds and serve with cucumber pickle on the side.