Fireworks Grilled Eggplant (Aubergine) with pickled cucumber and sesame rice
Eggplants are plentiful late July through August here in CO. We love them grilled and roasted. I'm used to preparing them with Mediterranean seasonings but Asian style is just as good! This is a killer summer recipe. The cooling cucumber and sticky rice are just what I want on a hot day. And you can add a plethora of other CSA veggies to your plate with this as well. Try snap peas, radish, spinach and of course carrots.
- ¼ of a cucumber
- 1 Fireworks miso butter burst
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 7 tablespoons Japanese rice vinegar
- 1 cup of sushi rice
- 3 aubergines
- 3 tablespoons sweet white (shiro) miso
- 1 tablespoons mirin rice wine
- 4 spring onions
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds , optional
- Slice the cucumber into thin rounds and place in a bowl. Add 1 large pinch each of sea salt and sugar, 2 tablespoons of the rice vinegar, and toss the cucumber.
- Place a dish on top inside the bowl and weigh it down with one or two cans. Set aside to allow the excess water to drain out.
- Rinse the rice well, until the water runs clear. Drain and place in a small pot along with 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Then cook over a low heat for 25 minutes, or until it looks like the rice has no water left.
- Then you will take the pot off the heat and leave, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Fold 4 tablespoons of rice vinegar, the tablespoons of sugar and 1 pinch of salt into the rice.
- Set the grill to high. Quarter the aubergine lengthways and score the flesh creating a lattice pattern. Place flesh-side up in a grill basket and grill for 15 minutes, or until almost tender.
- Next, mix the miso, miso butter burst and mirin with the remaining tablespoon of rice vinegar and 1 tablespoon of water. Brush half the glaze over the aubergine; grill for a further 8 to 10 minutes, brushing with the remaining glaze halfway, until tender.
- Meanwhile, toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan until golden.
- Place the aubergine on a bed of sticky rice. Trim and finely slice the spring onions, scatter over the aubergine with the sesame seeds and serve with cucumber pickle on the side.